Tuesday, March 30, 2010

February 20, 2010: The Power of One

This trip I went alone as Jonathan, Jeff, and others were busy this weekend. It was a nice outreach- cold. It was a cloudy morning and I went with bologna sandwiches to feed them. I also had some hot chicken soup in a huge pot. I drove up to the first station where a bunch of homeless guys usually hang out behind the trees one street beyond the Texas Car Wash. In behind the homes I saw an empty mattress or what I thought was an empty mattress and a cooking pot. There were about 3 guys sitting around smoking a joint and drinking some beers. Anthony and Joel (the incarcerated one) were hanging out. Joel was his usual self; drunk. Anthony was fully aware, but again feeding his depression with those who would understand. I gave them some soup and sandwiches and prayed with them. Not much has changed and they're still looking for jobs. I'm glad to have spent a little bit of time with the both of them. Upon leaving I stumbled upon the mattress again. This time it moved. Underneath the blankets was Abel. Drunk and left out to sleep. His wife kicked him out of the house. His life was changing, but now he has returned back to his past. I know recovery will take time, but I was deeply saddened to see him this way. We prayed, and I took him home. From his house I took off to the second station off Shamrock. I met up with Yo, and a few of his friends. I gave the soup and all the sandwiches to them. A lady with a few husbands came by for food. She had been in the army, but seemed to be struggling. She's one of the few prostitutes around and owe alot of debt. She needed Jesus.






No comments:

Post a Comment