Saturday, January 8, 2011

January 8, 2011: Calm Before the Snow Storm!

We had a huge response to our outreach today. Sarah Lanier brought Meg Arbour (whose husband I worked with for a short period of time). They represented Christ the King. Joey brought along the youth group led by Pastor Craig Seals of NFWBC and the college group which had Shannon's brothers Matt and Jon. Overall there was about 14 of us and five children including Esther (less than 2) and Meg's baby.

I went out earlier and found over 30 people when scouting. When we finally had all the helpers arrive we had over 3 loaves of sandwhiches, 3 cases of water, 60+ hotdogs, and coffee. Unbeknownst to us the first station we hit over 10+. There were the usuals, but those like Martinez and Frankie we haven't seen them for a year. We were able to provide them ample amount of clothing and some wood for fires. We spent alot of time praying and they even blessed us with prayer. Claudia seemed pretty cut up and beaten. Unfortunately, I believe she's been through the ringer with many men there. We pray for their comfort and safety as the winter snow storms will hit tomorrow.

The second station was even more surprising as we served over 30+ people. There I met Jason and Lindsay again. Her leg has healed up so well, they are now considering not to amputate it. I also met Mike and Blasa who were their previously. Many of their families are not present there any more. They are either divorced or have been separated (due to being incarcerated). We prayed for jobs and spent most of our time feeding tons of people here. Most of our blankets were gone here. This was indeed all done to the glory of Christ.

Our third stop was at a meth house. Again the smell of smoke, crack, and meth made it difficult for the children to step in. So Joey, Craig, and I went inside to pray with the family, as well as take pictures and provide some information to see if churches or the seminary will be able to come over and make some repairs at the place. There are some major damages: no central heating, mickey moused electrical wires everwhere, over burnt stove, rotted wood, poor roof conditions, etc... We hope to mobilize and be able to help this family. There are always needs, but this one in particular has taken over three years. Suzanne got engaged to her long time boyfriend. She showed us her ring. She was proud of it. I pray her life in the Lord will continue to help her.




















1 comment:

  1. As I type this, I am wrapped warm and snuggly in my blanket, on my nice comfy bed, satisfied from meals earlier and not worrying about my basic needs. My heart aches for those we ministered to as I know the next few days and nights will be quite difficult. I am thankful for God's timing in providing them with food, blankets and wood. May they reflect on God's goodness and grace to them during the chilly nights.

    Also, Phillip, I was really blesed by your prayer at our 2nd stop. In your prayer, you told those we were serving that they were more important than kings.... They need to know that they are precious, loved, and valued regardless of their current situation or season. Thank you for reminding me of our worth in Christ.

    I look forward with great expectations to what God is going to do in the upcoming months! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to serve!
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete